Did you resolve to save more money this year? US News says more people are making financial resolutions than a few years ago. But vowing to be mindful of expenditures doesn’t mean one can’t resolve to have more fun and travel more – both good goals. There is a way to be wealthier and happier as well as healthier in 2014. (Remember: Vacations are recommended for good health.)
Here are a six ways to save money on travel in 2014:
- Go against the flow – The great rush to the Caribbean is in winter, but the hot deals are in the off-season. You’ll escape the crowds, temperatures are only slightly elevated during summer and chances are there are big discounts on airfare, too. Make it a family vacation because kids stay and eat free at Divi Resorts from April through mid-December.
- Best things come in twos – Booking a packaged vacation not only streamlines the reservation process but results in maximum savings. Divi’s new booking platform, Divi Vacations, provides the lowest price on rooms at the resorts, even exceeding published best available rates when booked separately, and assures best pricing on airfare from major airlines. Depending on the season, customers will save from $150 to $345 per trip.
- Let’s be friends – Divi Facebook page includes occasional contests (Wow! Winning would really mean a savings!), and news about special offers, such as diving deals at Divi Flamingo Beach in Bonaire. Followers also receive announcements for limited time airfare discounts to the islands from major hubs.
- Suite deal – For family travel, nothing beats a suite. A one-bedroom with a pullout couch easily accommodates a family of four. (See savings tip #1.) Even better, a family can take meals and snack time in their own kitchen. In St. Maarten at the Divi Little Bay Resort, the on-site grocery will stock the refrigerator and pantry in advance of arrival.
- Kid’s play – Look for resorts providing free kids or family activity programs. The new Divi’s Treasures of the Caribbean program at all Divi Resorts engages the entire family in treasure hunts, sandcastle building, movie night, souvenirs, T-shirts and more.
- Pack light – Avoid the extra baggage fees. After all, most time spent on a Caribbean vacation is in a swimsuit.
Got any money-saving travel tips you want to share? Post your own ideas for travel tips at the Divi Resorts Facebook page. (Remember Tip #3 — Deals are waiting there.)